NICTA hereby advises the general public, particularly, importers, distributors and vendors of Telecommunication, Radio-communication and Broadcasting equipment referred to herein as ICT equipment – that such equipment must be type approved and certified by NICTA before they can be used in Papua New Guinea.
NICTA is mandated under section 30 of the Radio Spectrum Regulation 2010 and the National ICT Act 2009 to type approve ICT equipment for use in PNG.
Type approval is a procedure where NICTA certifies the acceptability of ICT equipment or product based on conformity of the equipment or the product to minimum regulatory technical and safety requirement before they can be sold or used in PNG.
The type approval process of ICT equipment seeks to achieve the following:
- prevention of interference in public communication networks;
- interoperability of customer equipment with ICT networks and interconnection between networks;
- conformity to local and international standards recognised by NICTA;
- addressing public health and safety concerns regarding emissions especially from radio communication devices;
- strengthening post-market surveillance activities on unapproved devices; and
- facilitating the availability of quality devices to the public.
NICTA has a standing MOU with PNG Customs on the importation of JCT equipment. Importers must present a NICTA-issued Type Approval Certificate and shipment documentation to PNG Customs for customs clearance purposes. PNG Customs will confiscate non type-approved regulated ICT equipment.
NICTA inspectors may conduct random checks to ensurer ulatory compliance. If the ICT equipment is found to be non-compliant with applicable technical standards and CTA regulations, the supplier/s shall be notified to cease using or selling the ICT equipment and dispose it at it own expense or NICTA inspectors may seize the equipment and dispose it.
All type approval enquiries should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Sign Notice:Public Notice - Type Approval of ICT Equipment - 17 Apr 19