This Public Notice replaces and supersedes an earlier one published on the same topic by NICTA on 29 April 2022 and provides guidance to what Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) may now do and not do when erecting new mobile communication towers.
This Public Notice is an interim notice and will remain in place until further notice. NICTA is in the process of developing detailed regulatory requirements for the construction and deployment of mobile communications towers. It is doing so in consultation with relevant Government Authorities, interested parties and stakeholders including within the communications sector.
Complaints have been made to NICTA and to local government authorities that mobile communication towers have been and are being erected in residential areas without the MNOs or other tower owners having undertaken consultation with the affected community and without appropriate formal permissions of relevant bodies having been sought and given.
MNOs and tower owners should comply with the guidance set out below from the date of this Public Notice until otherwise notified.
Unless formally approved by the authorities in advance
- New towers within a yard in a residential area must not be erected, and, if partly constructed, must cease forthwith;
- New towers within the premises of schools and hospitals must not be erected, and, if partly constructed, must cease forthwith;
- New towers may not be erected within a radius of 200 metres of schools and hospitals;
- New towers within a radius of 200 metres of an existing tower in residential and industrial areas must be avoided; and
- Erection of towers near highways and main roads must be avoided.
For the avoidance of doubt this Notice and the above arrangements apply to new constructions. Towers that are currently under construction may be completed provided the Mobile Network Operator concerned has contacted the relevant local authority and received clear and prior approval for the construction to proceed.
NICTA inspectors will conduct random inspection on communication towers to ensure that these structures comply with all the regulatory requirements, as well as the guidance set out in this Public Notice.
Authorised by Kila Gulo Vui
Chief Executive Officer