The Asia-Pacific Forum on Telecommunication Policy and Regulation (PRF), initiated in 2001, has become one of the most important forums for regulators and policy makers of the Asia-Pacific region. Attracting typically 100 high-level participants from the Ministries and Regulatory Authorities each year, PRF is an excellent forum for discussion on common policy and regulatory issues of the region. It has provided the members with the understanding and knowledge of the policy and regulatory best practices and information of emerging issues that countries need to consider in regulating their telecom environments and proving an enabling and sustainable environment for the telecom industry.
Many Asia-Pacific countries have, in the last decade, witnessed rapid development of their telecommunication and ICT infrastructure, although they may be in very different stages of development. The PRF has assisted members to strengthen their policy and regulatory frameworks by sharing information and experiences and providing a platform to discuss key challenges and barriers to access and other key issues such as Universal Access, Interconnection, Number Portability, Dispute Resolution, Competition and the introduction of new services.
Objectives of the APT Policy and Regulatory Forum are:
- Bring the telecommunications and ICT policy makers and regulators from the region together to a common platform for a dialogue on issues faced by them as a result of the unprecedented changes taking place in the ICT sectors. To achieve this objective, panel discussion or round table discussion could be arranged.
- Provide an opportunity for the top policy makers and regulators to share information, best practices and experiences for the common benefit of the members. Panel discussion or round table discussion could be helpful for this purpose.
- Provide consultative support to members on one to one basis when required. This could be achieved through special arrangements made for private meetings among Members.
- Promote sharing of expertise for addressing key issues of concern to the APT members. To stimulate Members in addressing key issues, at least one expert presentation on each of the main topics of discussion could be allowed.
- Facilitate intra-regional collaboration on policy and regulatory issues as required.
- Discuss sub-regional issues on an equal representation basis.
PRF will meet at least once a year or as deemed necessary. PRF will be lead by Chair and two Vice-Chairs. The Chair and two Vice-Chairs will be elected based on competency and interest to lead the work of the PRF with the term of two years that is extendable once. The Chair will be elected from the senior posts of APT Members. Two Vice-Chairs will be elected from APT members.
More Info at: https://www.apt.int/APTPRF